Thursday, August 3, 2017
Address industry topics through facilitated discussion in a fun, fast-faced environment. Below are the topics that will be covered, names of facilitators, and talking points for each topic.
Networking Roundtable 1: “Data for Advocacy” Facilitated by Tim Teehan (L2 Political)
- What do you mean by “data”?
- Where do you find it?
- Great, now that I have it, what do I do with it?
Networking Roundtable 2: “Innovative Ways to Take Action” Facilitated by Sherry Whitworth (VoterVoice)
- Do you target by individuals’ past actions or platform activity?
- How do you layer these asks?
- What are the best practices for leveraging event participation?
- Using advocates as proxies where your organization cannot attend.
- Let’s talk about stereophonic results.
- How do you hone your story and message?
Networking Roundtable 3: “Cultivating Key Contacts” Facilitated by Chip Felkel (Rap Index)
- Where are you looking for Key Contacts?
- What is the biggest internal challenge in building and/or managing a Key Contact program?
- What are the most important measurements of success for a key contact program?
- Rapid fire round: what are the best activities in which to use a key contact?
- How much staffing time should an organization dedicate to running a key contact program?
Networking Roundtable 4: “State Laws for Advocacy” Facilitated by Elizabeth Bartz (State and Federal Communications)
- Sex sells…but a good point not to include it in your lobbying plan.
- Are you telling me I cannot give my best friend from kindergarten a political contribution to his campaign for state senator?
- Who is going to know if I talk to my state rep about business back in the district?
Networking Roundtable 5: “Monitoring and Intelligence Gathering” Facilitated by Elisa Henry (Veritone)
- There is a lot of buzz around Artificial Intelligence.
- What does it mean?
- What should you be aware of?
- How can it help you?
Networking Roundtable 6: “Media Relations” Facilitated by Vanessa French (Beekeeper Group)
- What is media relations?
- How are you approaching journalist?
- Are you providing news worthy stories to the media?
- What are you defining as a success?
- Are you proactive or reactive?
Networking Roundtable 7: “Managing Your Constituent Community” Facilitated by Lucy Caldwell (Crowdskout)
- Do you truly know the audiences you can engage as loyal supporters, or are you going back to the same tired lists?
- Are there untapped audiences that you think could be with you, but you have no idea how to find them?
- How do identify audiences in your industry when your partner or member groups won’t share their lists?
- How do you make your organization’s mission and brand a trusted source of advocacy information for audiences you haven’t met yet?
Networking Roundtable 8: “Getting the Best out of your Consultants” Facilitated by Elise Wingate (DaVita HealthCare Partners)
- What expertise do you find most beneficial to have consultants assist you with? (creative development, strategic advice, social media management, etc.)
- What have been your biggest challenges in working with consultants?
- Discuss a campaign/ project you have successfully worked on with a consultant and why it was successful.
- When looking for a new consultant/firm to work with, what resources do you use to find potential candidates?
Networking Roundtable 9: “Creating and Managing an Effective Coalition” Facilitated by Deirdre Middleton (American Optometric Association)
- Why should we consider establishing a coalition as a strategy to achieve my goals?
- What is the first thing we need to do to begin a coalition?
- Who should we enlist to partner in our coalition?
- How do we accomplish action with the coalition?
- How do we measure success?